Simple Oven Dried Tomatoes
One of the tastiest ways to savor the treats of Summer. These oven dried tomatoes are extremely simple, delicious and very versatile in the kitchen. We love to harvest cherry, plum and grape tomatoes (of similar size) as shown above, and make this recipe in large batches. They can be be enjoyed immediately or frozen for later use. I find them to be exquisite marinated in olive oil and herbs, cooked into pasta sauces, sprinkled on salads, blended into creamy spreads and so much more... plus they make a lovely Farm to Table gift for friends and family!
Oven Dried Tomatoes
3 cups cherry, grape and/or plum tomatoes
1 cup water
1 cup organic white vinegar
1. Preheat oven to the lowest setting (Mine sets at 170 degrees Farhenheit).
2. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
3. Pour equal parts water and white vinegar into a deep bowl.
4. Slice your tomatoes in half and dunk them into the water/vinegar solution.
5. Scoop tomatoes out with a slotted spoon (to help excess liquid drain) and place fruits seed side up onto the prepared baking sheets and get them into the oven.
6. Prop the oven door open with a hard wooden spoon while baking, to allow excess moisture to be released.
7. Bake for 6 hours checking periodically to ensure they do not pass desired consistency. The tomatoes should feel dry, but still be pliable… you do not want them crispy or too hard.
8. Enjoy immediately or freeze for later use!